The Theatre lobby looked radically different in 1919 than it does today. Renovations beginning in 2001 opened up the lobby, replacing the old men and women’s coatrooms with a modern concessions stand.
One of the most striking features of the Hart House Theatre lobby is the floor-to-ceiling linocut that adorns the far wall. Produced by art director Fred Coates in 1934, the linocut depicts a scene from a 1922 production of the The Tempest, a collaboration between Coates and then artistic director Bertram Forsyth.1
While the lobby did not have a formal concessions stand until the renovations in 2001 during artistic director Nancy Pyper’s tenure (1935-1937) a sausage stand was set up in the lobby.2
As part of the Hart House Theatre revitalization campaign theatre alumni Lorne Michaels contributed towards constructing a the newly named “Lorne Michaels Lobby,” with a new bar, expanded washrooms, and a more open space.3
- Paul Makovsky, The Stuff Dreams Are Made Of: The Art and Design of Frederick and Louise Coates, (Toronto: University of Toronto Library, 1996), 61-62. ↩
- Richard Partington, “A Matter of Direction,” in A Strange Elation: Hart House, the First Eighty Years, ed. David Kilgour (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1999), 96. ↩
- Carla DeMarco, “Coming Soon to a Theatre Near You | By Carla DeMarco | Lorne Michaels U of T Hart House Theatre Memories | University of Toronto Magazine,” accessed January 7, 2014, http://www.magazine.utoronto.ca/great-gifts/lorne-michaels-hart-house-theatre-memories/. ↩